Cutting of Nuñez's sentence sparks anger - latimes.com
Reporting from Sacramento and San Diego — Outgoing Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's decision to cut the prison sentence that the son of former Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez received for his role in the death of a San Diego man outraged officials in that city, who said Monday they had been blindsided.
The allegation that Esteban Nuñez received special treatment at least partly echoed something that the 19-year-old had said after the drunken brawl that led to the death of Luis Santos, according to court records.
After Nuñez and his friends attacked a group of men in October 2008, leaving one dead, they hopped in a car and drove 500 miles north to Sacramento to burn their clothes and throw their knives in a river. Then, court records show, Nuñez told his friends not to worry, his politically connected father, would get them off the hook.
Nuñez entered prison on June 30, 2010, and is housed in a "special needs yard" at the Mule Creek state prison, Thornton said. Also housed there are Joseph Lyle Menendez, one of two brothers who became notorious for the murders of their parents in Beverly Hills, and Andrew Luster, the wealthy great-grandson of cosmetics magnate Max Factor. Luster was convicted of serial rape in 2003.