10 Things to Teach Your Children About a New Pet - Paw Nation
If you're a parent, you've probably heard pleas from your kids to get a family pet. And while bringing a new animal into the family can be rewarding, fun and exciting, there can be a steep learning curve when the pet first arrives.
What To Teach Your Children:
1. Be gentle and calm.
2. Understand that the dog or cat isn't a toy.
3. Make sure there's an adult is around when they play with the pet.
4. Respect the pet's basic needs and moods.
5. Do pet chores.
6. Treat animals the way they themselves would like to be treated.
7. Realize the new pet will be annoying at times.
8. Understand the dog or cat might play favorites.
9. Help keep the pet safe.
10. Empathize with the animal.